My So Called Pond Life

Welcome to my blog of my backyard Watergarden & Pond. Here you will find tons of pictures of my Pond & Water Garden, Waterfalls, Stream, Turtles, Frogs, Koi, Plants & other Local SO Cal Wildlife that stop in to visit my little ecosystem, plus links to ponds groups, info, and supplies. See how the pond grows over time, & feel free to ask any ?'s you may have about the build, maintance, & costs of building your own backyard pond!

Sunday, July 24, 2005

Summer 05 of Pond

Well my So Called pond life took some exciting turns in the last few weeks.

First my Minnows Spawned--I witnessed two of them in a mating dance a few weeks back and now to my amazement there has got to be 150 to 300 baby minnows! The numbers decrease by the day as the turtles and Im sure some local birds are in their glory!

Then my Tadpoles, who I have been watching as their back legs then front legs grow, finally became frogs! Well at least 3 of the 5 so far! So Cool to see and now the frogs on the lillies pad and water lettuce etc is really awesome! With the Turtles, koi, and now Frogs aI feel I really do have my own little backyard ecosystem going.

Finally I was sitting under my big Willow Tree and enjoying the fruits of my labor, IE the Pond, when all the local birds etc went flying for cover! Just then a So Cal Red Tailed Hawk came swooping down into the tree. He stayed for a few minutes to take in the pond from above in the tree. I ran in got the wife and when we came back out we scared him away! he flew to a nearbye Palm, and after a while I saw him leave and circle my house and neighborhood from above! Amazing to see such a wild bird coming to a built pond and I guess and Im hoping not a Food Source! lol

Other then that we still get tons of Dragonflies, beautiful colors of Orange, Blue, and Purples. Next up I want to get salamanders! :-)

As soon as I get my digital camera fixed Ill take some new pcitures, dropped it! Ugh! but the pond has grown in so so much! Summer has made things just go berserk! I have already had to start splitting plants that have outgrown containers. And my Water Lettuce and Water Hycinth have just gone berserk! Pictures to come hopefully in next couple days! Later

Powered by TagBoard Message Board
Name

URL or Email

Messages(smilies)

[ View Guestbook ] [ Sign Guestbook ]
Get a FREE guestbook here!
Support This Site